The iconic reggae star passed on to glory in the early hours of June 2, 2020. He has been in and out of the hospital for quite a while before his demise. His Manager took to the musician’s Instagram handle to reveal the news. Here are 12 Things You Probably Did Not Know About The Rain Maker, Majek Fashek
1. Various translations of his name Fasheke (Ifa-Kii-she-eke) include “high priest who does not lie”, “powers of miracles” and “(system or medium of) divination does not lie”.
2. He learned to play musical instruments at a local Aladura Church in Benin.
3. He was formerly called Rajesh Kanal
4. He was in a music group called Jastix with McRoy Gregg, and was lead singer for Black Rice.
5. The group was best known as the in-house band on the show Music Panorama on NTA Benin City.
6. he began a solo career in 1988 by releasing the album Prisoner of Conscience shortly after Jastix disbanded him,
7. In 1989, he won six PMAN awards, which included Song of the Year, Album of the Year, and Reggae Artist of the Year.
8. After leaving Tabansi Records, he was signed to CBS Nigeria in the early 1990s and released So Long Too Long. In 1990 he was signed to Interscope Records and released the critically acclaimed album Spirit Of Love, produced by “Little Steven” Van Zandt.
9. Fashek played a supporting role in the 2000 Nollywood movie Mark of the Beast
10. In 2016, he performed in a comedy show (with more than ten thousand audiences in attendance) in Lagos, Nigeria, with a roundly power-filled and soul-lifting performance.
11. In December 2016 Fashek contributed the song “We Are Not Afraid” to a video featuring 200 celebrities to raise funds for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and Human Rights Watch (HRW).
11. He did a song titled Free Africa, Free Mandela
12. He started his music career at the age of 11.
You may be interested in Majek Fashek’s Biography
How about you test your knowledge HERE?