This is the truth about the Nigeria police
1. Bail is not free.
It’s also not bail – it’s just a bribe you pay to be released. 2. They don’t investigate. They arrest people who have done nothing and ask them to ‘produce’ the suspect. The arrested people have to investigate.
2. Most states have got a station or a place where police take people found with guns or accused of violent crimes and simply kill them.
Accused people are beaten violently in custody till they confess or reveal their accomplices. People are killed in front of others so they confess
3. If you are accused of murder, you are put in a cell till they are ready to take you out and shoot you.
However, if you pay a certain amount of money, you can be swapped out with some innocent, poor people.
4. There are no ‘shoot-outs’.
Nigeria police routinely shoot people in the legs and say it was a ‘shoot out’. This is a common, accepted tactic in Nigeria. Suspects get shot in the legs. Nigeria police force everyone to write a statement of guilt to absolve themselves.
5. Police do not check your car papers for theft.
They check it so they can find a mistake as an excuse to extort people. In Nigeria, people can ‘arrest’ other people. You go to the police, pay money, and they will ‘arrest’ and hold the person till the person solves what you want to be solved
6. A policeman who extorts or collects bribes is considered 100% normal within the force.
Theft and extortion are just so usual that nobody thinks about them. The people who are to face crime are petty thieves, extortioners and murderers. You accept this, but this is NOT normal!
7. It’s not a few bad eggs
it’s 95% rotten eggs with a very few good eggs trying to do their best even though they are underpaid. You can’t fix this with a bandage. You need to amputate.
By Mark Essien
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ? READ MORE RELATED CONTENT HERE
CAN YOU ANSWER THESE TRICKY QUIZZES? CLICK HERE